- Provide legal support to assigned Bank operations / region, ensuring appropriate and required legal documentation and compliance.
- Manage and supervise the Legal Counsel and staff in the Legal Unit.
- Review, prepare and negotiate contracts between the Bank and third parties; common types of contracts including commercial contracts, loan agreements (for wholesale and retail), multi-option facility agreements, guarantees, bank undertakings, ISDAs and FX Agreements, sub-participation agreements, repos, Islamic financing agreements, software license agreements, outsourcing agreements and IT agreements.
- Ensure prudent review of all contracts with a view to assessment of risk and preventing legal exposure to the Bank. Recommend modifications to agreements, standards, models and documentation as legal requirements change.
- Support BU managers in the resolution of all contractual issues/disputes in order to secure the Bank’s best interests.
- Conduct research and advise BU managers on relevant legal and regulatory requirements in the assigned region/country. Research records and legal precedent so that all required data and information is available in timely and easy to use manner.
- Follow up on changes in legislation and other developments in the legal and banking field to remain updated. Review relevant legal journals and court circulars on a frequent basis communicate the same to more senior members within the relevant function any information or newly drafted regulations of which they need to be aware.
- Ensure that all copies of legal documents are stored in a logical and convenient manner so that information is easily retrieved.
- If required (and if Arabic speaking), review short text Arabic documents, translating these documents into English and prepare the response in Arabic.
- Represent the Bank (either directly or through external legal counsel) before, including without limitation, any court, judicial or quasi-judicial authority, government department or ministry or arbitral forum.
- Liaise with third parties including law firms on behalf of the Legal and the Bank on transactional matters and general queries.
- Assist in the preparation of timely and accurate reports to meet Bank and department requirements, policies and standards.
- Any other legal matter/s which may be assigned by the Head of Legal.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills. Arabic skills are an advantage.
- An ability to effectively deal with all levels of the Bank and its counter-parties.
- An ability to work under pressure, so as to meet transactional deadlines.
- An ability to comprehend and analyze financial transactions.
- A comprehensive knowledge of banking transactions and documentation.
- Expertise in local laws and regulations
- Legal report drafting skills
- Negotiation and dispute settlement skills
- Local tenders and contracts understanding and writing skills